Meta's Outsized Power Raises Calls for Accountability and Reform
• Meta (Facebook) has grown into a hugely powerful company that controls critical infrastructure and access to the public sphere.
• Meta's platforms have been blamed for many societal harms - from mental health issues to enabling disinformation and extremism.
• Meta has faced little accountability due to tech exceptionalism, defiance of oversight, and lots of money.
• Meta is poised to shape the AI era, just as it has web 2.0, unless it is broken up and held accountable.
• Dismantling Meta's power is imperative to save democracy and prevent further harms.