Posted 2/4/2024, 7:36:00 AM
Duterte's Call for Mindanao Secession Raises Sedition Concerns, Question His Motives
- Former President Duterte called for Mindanao to separate from the Philippines, which officials warn could constitute sedition
- Governor and Representative Romualdo say Duterte's proposal has "far-reaching effects on sovereignty, unity and rule of law"
- Duterte tasked former House Speaker Alvarez to lead the secessionist movement
- Officials question why Duterte did not pursue federalism or progress in Mindanao when he was president
- Duterte's proposal may be to regain political relevance or evade potential ICC prosecution over the drug war