Posted 2/5/2024, 3:02:00 PM
Chinese Netizens Vent Economic Frustrations on US Embassy's Giraffe Post
- A US embassy post about tracking giraffes received 166k comments from Chinese people complaining about the economy
- Commenters vented about being unemployed long-term and questioned if negative comments would be deleted
- Threads under foreign organizations' posts have more permissible environments than Chinese state agencies'
- Authorities worry about gloomy commentary as China's economy struggles post-zero-COVID
- Attempts to restrict negative comments haven't masked China's failing stock market and economic issues