Data Centers' Massive Energy Use Raises Concerns of Prolonged Fossil Fuel Reliance
• AI data centers have massive energy needs - OpenAI CEO says "We still don't appreciate the energy needs of this technology."
• Coal plants once set for retirement are staying online to power AI data centers
• In Northern Virginia's "data center alley," electricity provider warned of an impending "pinch point"
• Nationwide, electricity use at data centers expected to triple by 2030
• If utilities don't adapt, old fossil-fuel plants may stay online; renewable energy sources needed but face grid limitations